Our kids have the right to stay alive! No right is more fundamental than this one. Universal background checks may not be the full answer, but if they help save even one single life, if they spare one single family the terrible pain of losing a child to gun violence, they are worth implementing.
Our kids trust us to have their backs. What we can do, as constituents, is encourage our senators to stand up to their caucus. The legislators who need to hear from us are:
- Sen. Andy Hill (45th Legislative District)- Kirkland/Woodinville,
- Sen. Rodney Tom (48th District, Clyde Hill/Medina/Bellevue), and
- Sen. Steve Litzow (41st District), Mercer Island/Newcastle.
In this message you will need to say:
- Who you are and where you live
- That you support common sense gun legislation
- That you are glad the Senator signed on to sponsor the universal background check bill
- That you are counting on him to remain steadfast and stand up to his critics.
Vice-President Biden said yesterday: "There is a moral price to pay for inaction." That is certainly true at the national or State level. But at the family level, believe me, the price is first and foremost exacted in blood and tears. I, for one, hope never to see a murdered child's name on a memorial poster again... I am sure you don't either.
Your kids and ours and everyone else's must be put first. They deserve a vote. Let's pick up our phones to make sure they get it.