Pita breads made by Dado during my stay
Dado’s notes and suggestions:
Scaling the formula to a yield of 420g gives four pitas of approximately 100g each.
- Mix all the ingredients until they are fully amalgamated. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Stretch and fold. Let ferment for 60 minutes.
- Divide the dough into pieces of 100 g.
- Put the pieces on a sheet, and cover with plastic, to avoid crust from developing.
- Put the sheet in the refrigerator for 12-36 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 260 ºC (500 ºF).
- Dust the counter with a generous amount of flour.
- Shape each piece into a flat thin disk (this takes practice, don’t give up after first failures!).
- Let the pieces proof for 20-30 minutes.
- Transfer the pieces onto a baking stone, and bake for about 5 minutes
- Let the pitas cool down for 5 minutes, before filling them with all manner of goodness. In our house, we like to stuff them with ten tasty ingredients: homemade hummus, leaves of fresh spinach, shaved carrot, thickly sliced red cabbage, thinly sliced red onion, sliced hardboiled eggs, grilled slices of Cypriot haloumi cheese, chopped parsley, tahini (drizzled), and olive oil (drizzled).
Oh, wow! Another big gorgeous bread, you are hitting them all out of the park today!